Thursday, December 02, 2004

Almost Finished, the first part anyways...

Well, here's how it is, this Monday, December 6th 2004 will be the final step of my first session of chemo. It's another one of those fun Intrathecal Injection, so I am really looking forward to it. My last one, two Mondays ago, didn't go so well. It took about twenty minutes of the doctor moving around a needle that was placed between two vertebrae in my spine. He was not able to find the right spot very easily, where he had to take it out once to refreeze, and on the second attempt it was a while before he found the spinal cord to take samples of the spinal fluid. I had a headache and felt a little nausious for the remainder of the day, and for the rest of the week my back was a little stiff and bruised where the needle had been placed. Only one more thing like that is to come, for now.
As for the rest of the past week and a half, it has been practically the same. My two Vincristine treatments did not have a direct effect on my body so it is a softer side of the chemo. As well, my blood components had begun to rise after my Lumbar Puncture. My white blood cells have all risen to about normal levels, which is a good sign, I am no longer at high risk for infection. Along with that I not am hooked up to the IV machine, no more antibiotics, and I don't have to wear masks in the hallways , I am actually allowed to leave this floor, even go outside a bit if I want. I feel strange not being hooked up to my cart, perhaps a little lonely...NOT!

It has been four weeks that I have been cooped up in this hospital room, it is amazing how weak your muscles become. I tried to walk upstairs yesterday, I almost died. I felt like I was learning how to walk again, I was all wobbly, but I made it!! The next day...MISTAKE... my calves are extremely sore, it's sad cause that was only four flights of stairs! I will have to do them everyday to build back the strength that I have lost.

.....This is just an add-on to my journal and this entry is not finished!! Justin:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home