Friday, March 04, 2005

Livestrong!! Don't Give Up!!

Time winds down, my transplant is getting closer and closer. The date, which seemed far off is only now thirteen days away, is March 18th, but could happen on the 19th depending when the stem cells fly overseas. I may be getting European blood now, maybe I will assume a new accent as well as new new DNA. I won't be abe to contact my donor until a year after my transplant, just policy of the Donor System. The whole process is exciting, but different kinds of excitement, but so much uncertainty involved with all of this, just have to have faith!!

So how do I spend my time while I live outside in the real world....Hmmmm......I don't too many thing that are too thrilling. I went to the Zoo, that's always fun!! Most of the animals were out and it was a relatively nice day, and not crowded(I am not permitted/shouldn't go into crowds while my immunity is suppressed). After the Zoo, a few days after, I went to DQ for a burger, then found out from my Nurse that I am not really supposed to have fast food either.... I am just such a rebel. I have been going for walks with Larken, my new pet, now that I practically live with my Aunty, but it makes me miss Rolli, my retriever. I watch t.v. now and then, when my cousins aren't hogging the remote with their cartoons, Jacob Two-Two, and Sponguebob Squarepants. I try to read a bit, as well as get my sleep. Obviously I don't keep up with my Blog as it's been over ten days.

The past weekend brought some familiar faces from home for a visit. They came along with my dad for the weekend. It was not really eventful, but we had lots of laughs, playing deadly games of spoons and slap jack, and just being together. The worst part of the weekend was having to say good-bye again, it's always the hardest part. My brother and sister were supposed to come here to Calgary this weekend, but unfortunately they got sick and had to stay home, for fear of infecting me with whatever they have, I have to stay as healthy as possible before my transplant. So I was sad, but soon we will be together again, but I haven't seen them since Christmas, my mom too.

The dosage of drugs increased today, I started my Dilantin, which is an anti-seizure medication. That sounds really scary, but it is a preventively. The next chemo drug that I will be subjected to is Busulphan which has the tendencies to cause seizures. Not to worry because that is why I have this new medication, but it nonetheless startling. So I will go over how the next few weeks will look: Next week, until Friday I will be hospital free (besides Wednesday when I get a standard procedure line draw and flush of the CVC line that still protrudes from my chest,) Friday I will be admitted to Unit 57 encore to start my chemo session that will effectively wipe out my marrow thus my immunity system as I know it. The course of chemo will run to the next Friday when I receive two doses of radiation before my suspected Transplant the next day depending on delivery time. The Transplant will take its course of about an hour as it is just a simple transfusion, no pain (unless I react, which is unlikely.) The week prior to chemo should go alright, but about day seven I may have severe mouth sores and trouble eating and may need narcotic pain relief(this is the chemo now destroying my fast growing cells; mucus membranes, hair cells, and the stomach/intestine lining) this is probably one of the worst points, but with open mouth sores, I have a much higher chance of infection. During this period I will be on antibiotics, antifungals, and antivirals, and the these are crutial as I am now no longer with an stable immunity. It will take about two weeks for the new cells to begin to work and until this "graft" kicks in I am sort of left hanging. With my donor being fully matched this should minimize the effects that could occur through GVHD (Graft Versus Host Disease) which has many complications affecting many different parts of the body. Some is wanted to fight the Leukemia, but not a lot is good. This is just an insight to the proposed process in which I will go through, and eventually come through the other end even if it means longer time away.

My thoughts are very optimistic, as I have talked to a few people who have already gone through this thing. Of course you won't ever talk to the people who have passed on in the process of having a transplant, but that is something one just has to accept and refuse everything but life for themselves. Life is the only way for me.

K, I have to mention this:
My Aunty was talking to my cousin's friend Shawn.
"Why do you have that bracelet on your arm?" he points to the Livestrong bracelet on her wrist.
"Well it is in support of my nephew who have Leukemia." she explains
"Leukemia!!!" he cries "I thought he had Necrophelia!!" they pause
"Then what is Necrophelia?" Shawn questions
"Maybe you should ask your mom that one!" She snickers

I thought this was hilarious....Anyways, LIVESTRONG Bracelets, everyone should have one, I wear one so because I am continuing the fad, you should too. I am upping the demand! The support Cancer Research through the Lance Armstrong Foundation for those who don't know and are getting very popular. Get yours soon and Livestrong!!

Justin:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home