Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Let's get on with it...Again!

So with another day over in Calgary, I know where I stand once again, got the basic idea anyways. My appointment went today, pretty good, although we were a little confused at the start, entering the new hospital and being pushed around and directed to different parts of the building. It somehow slipped our mind that we would be starting all over to get the hospital cards, initial blood tests, and yes, waiting around again. I found the facility really nice, a big step up from the slowly decaying Montreal hospital, and after a day of "hanging" around, it was starting to become familiar. Sad but true, I feel comfortable being in the hospital, plus the staff there made it hard not to.... I guess I like being called "cute as a button" and having nurses fight over who gets to look after me.

We went over my protocol again, making sure I knew what was happening amongst this transfer from the east. The procedure was going to be about the same, the only thing that was different was that now I am scheduled for radiation therapy, something I was not really aware of, and still know relatively nothing about. Throughout the next few weeks, including over Christmas I will complete my second session of my protocol.

Today I started twice. The doctor first tried to perform my LP. Unsuccessfully, my back was frozen and she jabbed me with the needle as I almost fainted, or threw up as I was sweating, the cold horrible sweat. After attempt two she decided that I would try it through another method, using X-ray picture to pin point the exact entry of the "prick". This was a new procedure, but went pretty well, for having to be frozen for the second time of the day(which I find to be the worst part anyways.) After having the LP over and done with, I was able to rest, laying on my back for two hours in the "daycare" centre of this new hospital. I read for most of the time.

I have been reading 'It's Not About The Bike' by Lance Armstrong. As most of you probably know, he is the world classed cyclist who has won the Tour de France seven times, he's also survived a round of testicular cancer that had spread to his lungs and brain. Right now he is going through intense chemotherapy(in the book), and I am finding real parallels between his experience, although much worse scenerio than mine, it gives me confidence in my future of conquering this damn disease.

Challenges still exist in the future. My treatment is far from over, and it is bound to get worse as I don't know what to expect from the radiation therapy. I keep going one day at a time, and wait for tomorrow. For now, my head is pounding from the lumbar puncture and must get to bed, it seems to cure those incessant headaches. I may not feel well tomorrow, but there is always the next day!
Justin:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home