Friday, June 17, 2005

LeukemiaBeGone...Positive Negative Results of a Bone Marrow Biopsy

Disease free. To have no sign of Leukemia left within my bone, a very good sign of a nightmare slowly fading away into the past. Those were the results of my Bone Marrow Biopsy from last Wednesday. To tell the truth I wasn't really worried, it was looking fairly positive, but no doubt to have confirmation is really reassuring. Really I have probably been Leukemia free since I was zapped with radiation and the half a dozen chemical that were pumped through me before transplant, but now that my marrow cells have had a chance to grow again the test was conducted to tell for sure. So a weight has been lifted off my weaklink shoulders and those of everyone who has been thinking about me.

However, the effects of transplant have really been more of the issue, of course Leukemia is the reason I am in this mess. Because I have a new immune system growing inside me the caution I have to exercise will still keep me under strict conformity. Public outing bans, no swimming pools, crowd avoidance, construction zone clearance, staying away from most animals, out of the dirt, ect... So limits to what I can do will still be in effect for a while, without an immune system of total functioning capabilities I am still at high risk for infections that to a normal person could easily shake. Unfortunately, leukemia gone or not, I am not there yet. It may be six months, it could be a few years before my immunity is substantiated enough to sustain my body and health against all the bugs out there, I'll get there eventually, sooner rather than later.

My blood results for Wednesday proved to be a little concerning. My liver function was a little high and I was told to return to do a follow up blood test today to see what was up. Wednesday my platelets had surprisingly stopped at 57, the same level as last week(maybe the end of a slow dip.) It was proved so as the level was at 60 today, so maybe things are looking up in that regard. I need all the platelets I can get if I continue to get nose bleeds like that of the one on Wednesday morning. It bled for a half an hour and led me to become a little light headed, fairly certain to happen with a nose bleed that long. My hemoglobin slipped a little too, but was up a point today. Luckily my liver function was down to a more suitable level, if it were to be up it may have caused my medications to be changed or something, so we remain the same.

Unfortunately this week I think I have managed to get sick. A cold of some sort. I have developed a cough over the past few days, with a little congestion in my chest, and a bit of a snotty nose. Hopefully nothing more serious erupts from it, but without strong immune fighters in me, it may take a while to get over. Lets hope for the best. I'll shake this in no time. Really, I think I have been very lucky to last this long without catching something, living with six other people, two of which are my cousins going to school, exposed to hundreds of other germ infested snotty nosed kids playing in dirt. I have been careful and washed my hands millions of times, but I guess some thing are just unavoidable. Lets just say it's the first test for my new blood, and not to say I am equipped with a few antibiotics to help me along.

It's raining, and supposed to for the whole weekend which sucks cause I'll be cramped up inside and won't be able to get out for my physical activity, maybe yoga inside... Maybe I'll try writing a song on my guitar as I watch Calgary float away.

Justin:)

2 Comments:

At June 17, 2005 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much to say Justin, that is good news!!!!! The road should be smoother from here no matter how long it is, even with a few curves, I know you can handle them all.
Stay inside, stay warm and get rid of that cold. Most of all it sounds like you will need to stay inside just to stay dry. What weather they are having there, any Ark's being constructed in your neighborhood?
Take care of yourself.

 
At June 18, 2005 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo, congrats even though we knew it would be good news right? As for the rest it will come too. Hope your feeling better with your cold and the rain.
Lots of love
Yvonne and family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home