Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Line Removal Day

I am still a bit sick, it hasn't really amounted to much, some congestion in my chest, I am bringing up a little crap when I get coughing, and I am more stuffy and nasally. Other than that I am fairly fine in the cold department. I had a sins X-ray today to make sure nothing's up there.

Saturday was a bit of a drag, it rained most of the day, so I stayed inside and didn't really do much. Sunday was an improvement, it was a lot nicer. We went for a bike ride around the very muddy reservoir. We actually went through a few blockades, the paths were supposed to be blocked off, in some places the water was flowing over the them, nothing raging, but enough to be a public hazard I guess. I got my feet wet on the bike crossing through one overpassing stream. The rest of the weekend was fairly relaxing. The city was put on water restrictions because of the muddying of the reservoir, so this week we have been trying to do our best with conserving water, short showers and such.


Todays doctor appointment was rather long, we were there until 4:00. Waiting for my blood results was one of the delays, as well as waiting for the sinus X-ray. So I read my book in the waiting room until things happened. My blood results were good. I think my platelets are on the rebound now, they climbed six points to 66. I was able to get my Central Catheter taken out, a process I was worried about, but it turned out to be not so bad. The pokes of the needle hurt the most, and it only tok a few tugs to get the line out from my chest. I laid there on the bed for fifteen minutes while the doctor preformed the "surgery", and another fifteen with a weight on my chest to help prevent bleeding. The side of my chest feels a little weird right now, but it should be fine, as long as I am not bleeding internally... Don't worry, arteries have muscular walls, so it should have closed right up after the line was yanked.

Justin:)






2 Comments:

At June 24, 2005 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin, good news on the central line and the platelets. hope everything continues to go so well. Must be a weight off your chest (literally)to have no foreign objects in you. lots of love
YVonne and family

 
At June 25, 2005 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Justin
We are all so relieved and glad for your test results - leukemia free - what amazing words those must have been to your ears after all that you've endured over the past 9 months. Your latest blog bears a hint of wariness and reserve that comes when life has dealt an enormous blow and leaves us reeling with questions of "is it really over?" even when we are presented with the "good news" that we have overcome whatever enormous hurdle we have faced. I am reminded of that old war analogy, Justin: your body has won the war, however, there are yet many smaller battles yet to be faught and much "clean up" to be undertaken as your immune system rebuilds and you recover your person and life again. You have faught valiently and won, now comes the reclaimation and restructuring. You are a strong and intelligent man, Justin, you will find your way in due time.
I was reading a Prevention magazine yesterday and came accross an article on immune building in young children. It has now been discovered that a pristine home environment without animals is actually not helpful to children. In the study it was determined that the kids with the strongest immune systems were those whose homes were not always perfectly disinfected and whose families had pets around. It is quite likely that your gentle exposure to Larkin and the kids (not to mention Nan) have actually helped restart the building of your immune system already! Ironic isn't it? Perhaps that old saying "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" is applicable in this case.
This is a long blog comment, but I have not been able to reach you by phone since the "good news" came through, plus I have been unable to get anything through on your email address (my emails keep getting returned). You are, nonetheless, ever in my thoughts and prayers. Today is the first day of the rest of our lives, dear nephew. Live it.

luv, A. Donna

ps I have been hearing about the flooding in Calgary area - maybe you will be able to paddle home when the time comes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home