Friday, November 04, 2005

A Day of Significance

Can you believe it?! I have Leukemia. I just don't know what to say, but how is this possible. How can... Me... Am I going to die..... What.... Leukemia??!!

Those are just some of the thoughts that were racing through my head exactly a year ago. I still sometimes drift off into a dream world and have to really explain to myself that I did in fact have Leukemia. It was definitely a nightmare, but it was real. All too real and still is a fact of my life. I have struggled through this past year, but it has not been in vain. I have my life to be happy for and hopefully many years to come. The whole thing is not over of course, but the highest mountain has been defeated. Just a few more hills(or smaller sized ones) to over come.

My memory through everything has remained very clear. I remember distinct details from the very moment the first doctor came to explain. I didn't know what to do, I couldn't cry, I couldn't let him phone home. My life as I knew it had ended. What the future would hold was extremely uncertain.

Of course everyone knew I would make it, but going through it is another story. I never gave up hope, even on my lowest lows. Here's to surviving a year after diagnosis, and here's to many more!!!


Justin:)

6 Comments:

At November 04, 2005 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have definately been on a roller coaster ride. Good for you for keeping that positive attitude, I am sure that that kept you going in the right direction. Heres to bigger and better things to come Justin. You have proved that you can tackle anything now!

 
At November 04, 2005 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The positive attitude, the strength you had going into this horrible illness, the prayers, your age, there is alot of factors that got you where you are today.oh yes, and lets not forget about the experts that you had looking after you. You are here with us, and that is worth a celebration.You have a great long life ahead, and I think personally you would be a great person to talk to people that are going through what you did. Not every-one has the attitude you do and to speak to a survivor for some people would give them that hope,they need. Hugs to you !! Laurie R DC

 
At November 10, 2005 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Justin,
It has been a huge year!
Only you would be able to deal with everything in such a graceful way. You're the stuff of legends. :)We think about you often.
Keep on keepin on.
Mickey (Michaela)

 
At November 14, 2005 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on Justin. Rock on.

 
At November 27, 2005 11:17 AM, Blogger HolyCowLeukemia said...

Hey Justin, love your blog, very informative and I picked up some good sites. I too have ALL, since Feb, and have a blog http://johnsleukemia.blogspot.com/

Curious about one thing - was the BMT a standard part of your treatment, or did you test positive for the Philadelphia chromosome? I have been doing the CALGB8811 treatment, no BMT, with good results and fewer side effects, it sounds like.

 
At December 11, 2005 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin, I just finished reading all of your blog. It's very interesting. You have been through alot. My daughter, who is 21, was diagnosed with AML on July 27, 2005 and we just found out last Friday that she will be admitted to the Foothills Hospital on Jan 3, 2006 with the Bone Marrow transplant scheduled for Jan 10, 2006. It sounds like she has gone through pretty much what you have. She is terrified about the transplant but I'm sure everything will go fine. Take care of yourself and my family wishes you all the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home