Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Here I am...

So this is what it feels to be nineteen. I guess this is a special circumstance, something you never would have thought could be possible at such a young age. Lots of people get sick, you just never know if it's going to be you. I am dealing. My Birthday went alright, as about exciting as every other day since the start of this whole thing. I had an cry. I guess it's good to cry every once in awhile, even if it is your birthday, relieve some tightly packed emotions and stress. At least the big turkey feast was good, and I ate double of the black forest cake... It was good.

The weekend carried on, in a bit of a frenzy however, it was kind of busy having a fuller than normal full house here in Calgary. I kind of felt overwhelmed, and this house isn't so big that you can just become lost, and get away from everyone if you need to.

I have felt a little lonely lately. Mostly my fault, I never pick up the phone to talk to anyone. I just don't like talking on it. It seems to be even harder when you have little to talk about, I guess I could always be the listener, find out what is happening with everyone else. I think I get tired of the question: "How are you feeling?" Standard answer: " Good/OK I guess." Really, I don't know how to answer that. I don't feel to bad, most of the time, but still it's not the way I would prefer to feel. So I guess I just keep it simple to avoid the: "Well, I have stomach cramps, gas, tingly feet, ect..." Maybe people get tired hearing about the complaints of this Bone Marrow Transplant patient. And I'm rambling...

So I have been baking, I got a new cook book for my birthday: "Essentials of Baking". It is a huge cook book filled with exotic breads, pastries, cookies, and all those things that a steady diet of would enlarge you steadily. So I decided to try one recipe everyday. So far I have made these cheddar, chive muffins. They were ok. The Honey Whole Wheat bread would have been better if it had cooked fully, but the kneader and baker failed; undercooked. The cookies were a hit and didn't last the weekend so I made more yesterday, along with the most excellent pizza dough. It's a shame that breads and cookies aren't the best thing for you because I think if they were I would just go non-stop with pies, and all those things that taste so good. I am one of those people who loves to make things, but hate to see it get eaten, unless it is by me. Eating is a past time for me, one of the things I can still do and enjoy now that my taste skills have more or less come back since the chemo period.

Guitar is still going, been practicing quite a bit, not a lot of progress, but it is something that will take time to master. I have been trying to get the first part of 'Sweet Home Alabama' down, it's slow, but it sounds like its supposed to. Along with the chromatic finger exercise, and trying to get my chords down, and learn the major and minor scales, I have lots to practice.

My bladder was acting up last week, but this week it seems to be better, but I am still getting up a lot at night to go to the bathroom. It is interrupting my sleep, and I am feeling more tired in the afternoons, so I think I need to start taking more naps during the day to sustain my strength.

I wanna see who is out there still, drop me a line sometime.

Justin:) Thanks for all the Birthday Greetings By the Way.

6 Comments:

At May 05, 2005 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey kiddo, sorry that you are feeling so blue but glad you did get to eat a big birthday feast anyway. Once you get feeling better and are able to come home I am sure that you will get so many visitors that you will wish that you had your alone time again. Don't be feeding your mom too many of those things you are baking, I thought she was trying to exercise again so don't blow it for her. As for you, last picture I saw looked like you could eat lots before it did any damage so keep on a baking. Talk to you soon and thinking of you alway
Yvonne and family

 
At May 05, 2005 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,

I just finished reading through your whole archive from start to finish.
Just thought I'd drop you a line, say Hi and such.

A friend of mine who works in Dawson Creek works with someone you are related to (possibly your Dad, I think he said). Anyway, he gave me this web address to have a look at, since I have been in the same boat.

In May of 2003, I was diagnosed with
Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.
Since that time I have gone through almost all of the same procedures you have gone through, so I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I originally started out at the U of A hospital here in Edmonton, and was in and out for almost a year, going through chemotherapy sessions, most of the time spent in the hospital.
Eventually, I did get to go back home for a while, and had to wait for them to find me a donor.

Finally, one was found, and I made the move to Calgary for the transplant.

It's funny to hear you even had the same transplant doctor, Dr. Gege. I had him and a few others also.
I had my transplant on December 9th, 2004.

Aside from a little bit of lung problems from GVHD lasting for a while, things have been going great since my transplant.

My life is almost back to normal, just a little fatigue issues, and the odd trip to the Cross Cancer Center here in Edmonton for a checkup and thats it.

I have since gotten married, and will soon be going back to work.

Just thought you should here it from someone else who has experienced the same thing as you, a little more reassurance that things will get better for you!

Thanks for the good read and get well Justin.
jrebchuk@telus.net

 
At May 06, 2005 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin, I read your posts when I get a chance, and I'm glad you are sharing your experieces this way (blogging)it's very educational and important for people like me who don't really know you to hear about your experiences, it puts a human face on a scary disease. Glad to hear you are getting pleasure from eating, go for it...only eat the stuff that's fabulous, make someone else eat the test food!!! Cheers, Ms. Kotylak

 
At May 06, 2005 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Justin, I read your posts when I get a chance, and I'm glad you are sharing your experieces this way (blogging)it's very educational and important for people like me who don't really know you to hear about your experiences, it puts a human face on a scary disease. Glad to hear you are getting pleasure from eating, go for it...only eat the stuff that's fabulous, make someone else eat the test food!!! Cheers, Ms. Kotylak

 
At May 07, 2005 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there Justin

A very Happy Birthday to You!
I am in Vancouver for 3 weeks and reading your blog site from my sister's place in Surrey. Always keeping in touch!
Lots of hugs, Ingrid

 
At May 07, 2005 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi justin,
I wanted to say Hi, and I read your site each week. I am amazed at your strength, openess, and honesty. I am just curious as to how you feel when you are going through this and I get answers from your site. I know your family in Dawson Creek and I have a hard time reaching out to anyone to see how you are doing. It is just a personal thing, as I have had trageties in my life, so i tend not to get in touch with people, but to think of them often.
I wish you the best in your recovery and strength to you and your family. Please know that myself and many of my family members (Bacon & Wards) are thinking of you and quite often they ask me to print your updates.
We are all supporting you.
Christina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home